Monday, June 15, 2015

Olympic National Park

Onions was looking out on the view from our house in Seattle and asked about the Olympic Mountains, so I thought..."WHY NOT, let's go."  So off we went.  First stop, Hurricane Ridge.

I guess the deer are habituated to people as they walked right by us without even any sense of fright.

Blue skies.....

....fluffy clouds.



Just a few miles west of Port Angeles is the Elwha River and the major site there now is the site of the former Glines Canyon Dam.  Built in the early 1900's for power generation the final portion was removed August 2014.

This is looking upstream at the former lake that was created by the damn.  Slowly returning back to its natural state.

And downstream.

My first raccoon upclose and personal.

In my parents tradition, Onions wanted to eat Chinese food in a small town and so we walked about 3 miles roundtrip in Port Angeles for Chinese food at "Fresh Wok." First off, he said he liked it (I think to spite me) and second, I can't believe we both PUT AWAY that much food.  Portion control.....wow.

Lake Crescent


The second day of our trip was a coastal day.  First stop was out to Cape Alava.  Back in 7th grade, we did this as a beach hike and stayed two nights.

I remember it back then being this LONG hike, but Onions and I did it in an hour and fifteen minutes.



Cape Alava is the westernmost point in the continental United States.  Here we are!



Our golden hour was spent watching the waves and the sun go down at Rialto Beach by the town of LaPush.




Looking out at the waves...and way in the distance...Asia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The middle school beach hikes were the whole Ozette triangle - you only did one piece: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/lake-ozette/