Monday, January 07, 2013

Christmas Day 2012 in Kunming

I have this pattern of flying ON Christmas Day itself.  Christmas 2012 was like many others, it had me at the airport early in the morning, ready to take off for another journey.  This winter break?  A journey to India.  My flight to Kolkata was scheduled to have a two hour layover in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province. Two hours, that's to be expected......except a few weeks before the trip, the airline emailed me to say they canceled my afternoon flight and had rebooked me on the midnight flight to Kolkata. This left me with a 10 hour layover in Kunming. I easily could have just stayed in the airport, but I ventured out into the SUNSHINE (have I mentioned that Beijing has had temperatures BELOW 0 Celsius for all of December and most of November, not counting wind chill?) of Southwestern China.

I spent the afternoon at the Yuantong Temple, the largest Buddhist temple in the area and built in the 8th/9th centuries.  A day of blue sky, sun on my skin and having a quintessential China afternoon.








No comments: