Friday, February 24, 2012

Vienna -- Monday February 20th, 2012

A walk through central Vienna and you come across this anti-fascist monument.  We're looking at the "The Gates of Violence" which are the gates to a concentration camp, with soldiers and gas masks.

This is a Jewish person forced to scrub off anti-Nazi graffiti

The Albertina Museum steps.  The museum is home to an amazing Impressionist collection, both permanent and temporary.

An amazing Renoir

After lunch at a Vietnamese restaurant (hello Italy, why don't we have that kind of food?) D and I stopped by the Natural History Museum.  Here I am out in front with my namesake elephant.

The only piece I wanted to see, and really one of the highlights of my entire trip, was this 25,000 4-inch high "sex-symbol", The Venus of Willendorf

We studied her during the first week of Art History.  She's faceless and feetless and all breasts.

But she is clearly representational of...(maybe fertility) but proof of the concept of art, even 25,000 years ago.

That evening, D and I went to the House of Music.  It was totally amazingly interactive.  The Dice game, had two players each roll a die (red or blue) the number that came up had a certain melody.

When all put together, the two parts played together to form its own, "original" waltz.

The same concept up in the Mozart area.  Type in your name, and he "composes" a piece based on the letters of your name.


The best part of the museum is getting to "conduct" the Vienna Philharmonic.  Here I am conducting....

The first time I tried, I did such a terrible job, the orchestra stopped, and one of the violinists chewed me out.  You can read him saying "but this is too much!"  Hahaha!!

Try two was better as I successfully conducted the philharmonic through "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik"

The Museum kicked us out at 10PM...and here was dinner!! Good German style food!

No comments: