Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The American Overseas School of Rome

Here you go........day before school starts campus tour.
The address of the school is Via Cassia 811 and is located at the northwestern corner of the city, very leafy and almost suburban feeling.  The school is across the street from this bus stop, which is where I get off when I don't ride the school bus.
The main entrance to the school with the guardhouse.
The first thing you see on campus, not a great first impression, is the school parking lot.  Watch for a coming post when I blog about the school bus system.  This parking lot will be featured PROMINENTLY.
Up the stairs out of the parking lot and you come to the corner of the quad.  Here at the NE corner, the two wings of the elementary school intersect.
This is the wing (the eastern side of the quad) that has the 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade classrooms.
On the western side of the quad, is the oldest building on campus (it used to be someone's residence) called the Villa.  The Villa houses the Middle school (grades 6-8) and administration.  Behind the villa is the athletic field.
The two story high school building is on the southern edge of the quad.
This breezeway (the SE corner of the quad) connects the Villa with the main entrance of the High School.  The gym is on the other side of the wall of art.
The classroom I've been assigned is the first one you come to one the first floor of the HS building.  My name plate was attached to the door today.  It's the first time I've ever had my name on a classroom door in 16 years of teaching!  I do, however share my classroom.
My classroom is assigned the name "HS0", yeah I teach in Room 0.  The history behind that is that the room has 2 doors. The room across the hall is Room 1, and in the old days, the other door to the room was used as the entrance, so the room was Room 2.  But the former teacher, wanted the entrance door changed, so it became Room 0 and there now is no Room 2.
The southern edge of the campus sits on the edge of a greenbelt, which is what my classroom looks out on.  Along the steep slope, the school has built an outdoor amphitheater, which is right outside HS0's windows.
On the ground floor, right below the room in which I teach, is the school cafeteria.  Teacher's lunches are subsidized by the school so we only pay 30 Euro cents to each lunch!



2 comments:

mojorba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mojorba said...

Hi,

I came upon your blog when looking up info on the American Overseas School of Rome. THey have a job opening in Math. Noticed that you started last August. Could you give me info on working at the school? Do they pay enough? How are the kids? the admin supportive?

Thanks!


Montse