Saturday, January 08, 2011

New Years 2011 in Barcelona

After my sailing course, I arrived in Barcelona on the evening of the 31st of December 2010. After taking a shower and a nap, I gathered myself up to go out. I lost track of time and celebrated the New Year in a Kebab restaurant eating a late dinner. And that was my New Year's Eve 2010. The next two days were spent wandering around the city mostly looking at the architecture.





Parc Guell is a nice respite in the city full of wandering paths and Gaudi designed structures.






From Parc Guell you can see down to the flat area of Barcelona and the still unfinished Gaudi designed Sagrada Familia.






This is the "Passion" Facade.






This scene from the "Passion" facade is in start contrast to all the classical sculpture I've been looking at over in Italy.






The interior of the Sagrada Familia










Another Gaudi building is the Casa Batllo on the Passeig de Gracia






With the use of stained glass and nary a single straight wall, he creates the feeling of living underwater.










Up on the roof.






The chimneys!






The reconstructed German Pavilion for the Barcelona 1929 Worlds Fair by Mies van der Rohe.






One of the Barcelona Chairs which were introduced at the fair.






About the most "traditional" looking piece of architecture I saw was the Olympic stadium.






The flame for the 1992 Summer Olympics. Check off visiting another Olympic venue.






One afternoon, I took the train out to the town of Montserrat, located high on a rock outcropping. Yeah, I got up there on one of those yellow cable cars.






I liked the juxtaposition of this church facade, with the more traditional building adjacent to it and the sunlit rocks in the background.






The town is situated amongst boulders like there and there are hiking trails and paths throughout the area which take you to other churches and vistas. I didn't have time to take part but the sunset was great.






Not sure if the people of Montserrat fully thought through their choice of city symbol.






Last stop in my Barcelona whirlwind was a trip to the Picasso Museum. I liked this one specifically because it was drawn on the 5th of January 1970, a mere three weeks before I was born.

1 comment:

Marlene said...

hmmm....i agree on the monserrat symbol. they need a graphic designer....but based on your photos, i can see the inspiration....i like the photo of he foyer with the white arches and the side uplighting. subtle!