Sunday, September 19, 2010

Gran Sasso

Have access to car, will travel. I hope to make it to all of Italy's 20 regions before I leave. This past weekend, I checked off #13, the Abruzzo. For those of you keeping track, the seven I have left are in the corners, Val d'Aosta (NW corner near France), Friuli-Venezia-Giuila (NE corner nearest to Slovenia), the island of Sardinia, as well as Molise, Puglia, Baslicata and Calabria (the boot and toe). I headed to Abruzzo to see the highest peaks in the Apennines, the Gran Sasso.





The Gran Sasso is a national park that has great hiking and peaks greater than 2,000 meters.






The highest peak, Corno Grande, is 2912 meters. I started to hike it but it started raining and got really foggy. At the base of the Corno Grande is a hotel in which Mussolini was housed/imprisoned (not sure which) during two weeks of the summer of 1943.






The "Campo Imperatore" is a huge wide plain that kind of feels like being on the moon. Can it be that his place is less than 80 miles from the center of Rome?






As I was driving out, the sun broke through and I got an amazing sunset and awesome colors of the sky. So, instead getting a hotel nearby, I pulled out the sleeping bag and slept under the stars.

No comments: