Sunday, January 24, 2010

Juventus -- Roma

First of all, in Italia, the home team is listed first so I traveled to Torino, home of Juventus of Torino, which seems to be beloved by many, especially director's assistant and former HRS student Adam Z. Adam and I were Facebook chatting a few weeks ago and lo and behold, my team (well kind of since their the closest and I'm still deciding whether to adopt them as MY team), Roma was playing his team this past Saturday. Deciding to seize the moment, I got us tickets and a date was made. I fly up to Milano, near where he lives, and we took the train over to Torino. I spent 9 hours on the train getting back to Viterbo. I made some friends with Genoa supporters as they were on the train to their game. Calcio, or soccer, is a universal language.









Juventus plays its home games at Stadio Olympico Torino, which now is the 4th Olympic stadium I've visited while here on my European stint.










Here is Adam Z. sporting his Juventus gear. I bought tickets that were one level up from bleachers and as you can see we were right down near the action. Actually, row 2. The only issue was that we couldn't see into one corner, but who cared?










Adam was excited to get to sing the Juventus fan song which he had been practicing for years.










#10 Totti is the star of the Roma team and has been for a decade.









Yeah, row 2!










Portiere=Goalie and on the left we have Buffon, Juventus' goalie and national team goalie. Allenetore=Coach and in the black jacket Ciro Ferrara. Ferrara is on the hot seat in his first year as team coach. His face is in the paper every single day.










Roma scored in the final minutes of extra time. Looks like Ferrara is headed for the chopping block.

No comments: