Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Napoli

The unquestioned capital of Southern Italia is Napoli. It's crazed, frenetic, crime-ridden (or so the rumor goes) and completely Italian in all ways. The school again put together a host family trip and so I got a free one-day trip to Napoli. I'll certainly go back down to see Capri, the Amalfi Coast, hike to the top of Vesuvius, see Herculaneum and then visit the Temples of Hera at Paestum.





Along the sea in Naples






Just a few kilometers down the road, Mount Vesuvius looms over Napoli. It erupted back in 79AD and is still active. In fact, all of Italy is still geologically active and subject to earthquakes as well.






If it's Italy, there's a castle somewhere.






Nativity scenes are a HUGE deal in Italy (or maybe everywhere but I've just not known?) and Naples is apparently on the forefront of nativity scene design and technology.





This one street, wall to wall people, is known for beautiful nativity scene wares.





Get your waterfall or any kind of add-on can be yours.









Neapolitan "dolci", on the left a ricotta cheese based filling inside a pastry and on the right, marzipan. I brought a bunch home and am enjoying them this week.






The galleria in Napoli, a place to shop and to get in from the elements.






So the crime....the big decorated Christmas tree in the galleria was STOLEN. Here's the replacement.

1 comment:

cath said...

My Dad's suit for my sister's wedding was stolen out of the car in Naples during the rehersal dinner. Why he left his suit in the car is beyond me. My BIL had paid someone to watch the car--I guess this is common practice. I have never been anywhere like Naples.
Fun to see you post pics of places I have actually been to--and those nativity scenes were out even in Sept when I was there.