Friday, September 11, 2009

SYA Viterbo

I have finished my first week of teaching. It's nice to back working with students. Having taught Geometry and Statistics for the past four or five years, I've had to bust my hump this first week because I haven't taught Algebra 2, Precalculus, Precalculus Honors or AP Calculus in a while. It's not that I have to learn the material, it's that I have to make lesson plans and pace the course and figure out homework. My colleagues wonder why I'm working until 6PM every night, but I tell them that my work is all on the front end. Once it gets to grading, it's easy. I am lucky in that my colleagues at HRS (that's you Warren F. and Shahana S.) have kindly let me copy their files, so I'm working of their sheets that they handout. But still, I have to do the sheets to know what I'm talking about in class. The students are great, so far. BUT, we've already had an acting out incident. Apparently someone is putting boogers on the wall in the girls bathroom. Yeah, the director of the program addressed it yesterday. A word about my director and that is, he rocks. It is so great to again work for a head of school/program that has your back and is honest and funny. I'm a lucky guy. So the following are pictures of the school itself. Remember, I live on the floor above the school so I'm in the same building, but here it is....





Front door to the school.






The salon, where assembly takes place, students gather during their free periods and where their mailboxes are.






The ceiling of the salon. This building was once owned by a wealthy Viterbo family.






If you take a right from the salon, you're in the office. Roberta, our administrative aide sits at the desk. The door in the back right is the office of Dave, the activities coordinator and technology guy (Roberta's husband) and Eleonora, the host family coordinator. The back left door is Pat's office, the director.






The patio where students can gather. The faculty bathroom is off the patio.






To the left of the salon, is a hallway from which students can access 4 of 5 classrooms and their bathroom.






Room B (for Borea as all rooms are named after winds) is the Math classroom.






A second hallway leads to the computer room.






The computer room leads to the student "locker" room. You are looking back into the computer room and the salon.






The last classroom and access to the teachers' office is from the student locker room.






The teachers office is at the back along with a kitchen. The Math teacher desk is the one in front on the left. Going around clockwise is the Ancient History teacher (Santo), on the back right is Art History (Yvonne), Latin (Frank) and Italian (Alessandra and Katia). There is a door next to Santo's desk which leads to another office for the English and Greek teachers as well as the College Counselor.

No comments: