Sunday, July 20, 2008

Indignation Level 3

Ok, on the Carlos P. Levels of Indignation, with 5 being outright moral outrage and incredulity at the audacity of someone or some organization, I am sitting here at Level 3 having had to pay $15 to check my bag in on American Airlines. Ok, they did return my bag when it got lost this past week, but they lost the bag to begin with, so I think I'm even with them karma-wise. But $15 for a service that I think is an entitlement? Am I wrong? (Wow, did I ever think I would ever act like someone who feels entitled to a service?)

I feel like I was being held up by a crook when I had no option but to check a bag since I couldn't have three carry-ons. I mean, Southwest Airlines allows at least the first bag checked free.

I don't like having to pay, but I did so anyway under GREAT mental (as in I didn't take it out on any airline employee) protest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. "Economics drives everything" -- stop and think about it. Charging for checked bags in logical and fair.

Why should everyone pay the same fare when a large part of the cost of flying is fuel and the amount of fuel used is in large part determined by the weight of what's being carried?

Why should you pay the same fare whether you watch the movie or not? Or eat the meal or not.

Charging a base fare to get from point A to point B and then charging for extras (food, movies, lots of luggage) allows for people to pay for what they use.

Heck, I think they should weigh YOU and your bags all together and just charge a fee based on the total weight of what you're making them move.

Stop and think about it -- I bet you agree.

All that said, if they lose the bag, they shouldn't charge you. It's like charging for a meal in a restaurant and then telling you the kitchen is too backed up to cook it but they'll bring it to you at home in a doggie bag in a few hours.