Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My Watermelon Sprung a Leak





I got up this morning and stepped into some sticky liquid on my kitchen floor. Nobody was living in the house with me so it couldn't have been a spill. Nothing was leaking from the refrigerator, and nothing came from the ceiling. After a baffling couple seconds, I scanned the kitchen and saw that the butcher block as also wet and that the liquid was coming from within the watermelon that I had purchased a few days earlier but had yet to cut. I tried to pick up the watermelon to move it and it caved in on itself and and that let to a stream of liquid shooting out of a hole in the watermelon. I promptly found a bowl(the one in the picture above) large enough to stick it in and threw some towels on the floor and left for work.

Now not only do I not have watermelon, but I've got to mop the sticky kitchen floor. Has this sort of thing ever happened to anyone else? Spontaneous combustion of large melon?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think maybe this melon had had a life of abuse before you adopted it.