Sunday, January 21, 2007

We Become The Things We Mock

When I am zipping around town going from here to there, my path more than likely crosses the intersection of 18th and Guerrero. Those of you who are knowledgeable about San Francisco geography and gastronomy know that this corner is home of Tartine, a most wonderful bakery. If I ever pass by this corner in the mornings, I will always find a line out the door onto the sidewalk. In times past, I would say to myself, "Who are these people who stand in line for more than a couple minutes for what is essentially glorified donuts?"

These days, I eat my words. A couple weekends ago, because of the holidays I drove by and saw there was no line (?!?!?!) so I went in and the rest is history. Three straight weekend visits later, I sit here and am scooping up Muesli as I have to choose between a Morning Bun, Frangiapane Croissant or a "Pan au Jambon" (a gruyere and ham croissant which will become part of tomorrows lunch). This is AFTER I spent twenty minutes in line on the sidewalk BEFORE the place even opened.

No comments: