Sunday, October 29, 2006

Slate's Green Challenge

As a diversion from the twice-yearly pain that is writing comments about each of my students, I have discovered podcasts and that led me to visit The Green Challenge at Slate.com.

Here's a result of my carbon footprint:

Your annual carbon emissions are 15,829.6 lbs.

That's equivalent to the emissions from 1.55 passenger cars.

Average carbon emissions per year, per person:
United States: 44,312
Qatar: 117,064
France: 13,668
India: 2,645
Kenya: 440

I think I may have underreported a couple things but I do know that I am on the low end of energy consumption living in a place where I don't have to air-condition and the fact that I don't fly on a plane more than twice a year. My taking BART to work a couple times a week is a big reducer as well. I'll try and follow the course of actions that the site suggests to reduce our carbon footprint by 20% over the next eight weeks.

No comments: