Wednesday, August 16, 2006

On a whim

While in New York, I got the rare opportunity to chat with my friend Jeff O. He's one of those great friends who I can not see or talk to for two years and when we get together, we pick up where we left off seamlessly. Jeff has spent this past year in San Juan, PR, having the honor of clerking for the Puerto Rico based judge on the United States Court of Appeals - 1st Circuit.

He had invited me (as well as many other friends) to visit him there. Many had, but I had yet to make it there. I learned that the upcoming weekend, August 12th and 13th, was his last weekend in Puerto Rico. I took the bull by the horns, as the saying goes, and extended my trip by five days. Instead of returning to the Bay Area on the 9th as scheduled, I instead flew to San Juan. I landed on the afternoon of the 9th and spent the evening walking around Old San Juan.





A particularly beautiful street in Old San Juan






Jeff's apartment was the top floor of the blue building. It was on Calle de la Cruz in Old San Juan.


I spent Thursday out Ocean Beach and Condado. It was windy and it rained intermittently, but I had a wonderful time walking on the beach and walking back into Old San Juan. Swimming in the ocean was fantastic. That evening, Jeff's former downstairs neighbor, Jeff and I went to an woman's art show and then out for dinner and some open mic music.

On Friday, Jeff had to do some business at the Puerto Rico DMV, called CESCO. I accompanied him just because I sensed that some huge frustrating fiasco might happen and being that Puerto Rico is not an efficient nor customer service oriented culture, I might be witness to some hilarity. Unforunately, everything went smoothly, but I paid for my desire for chaos when later on that afternoon, I got on the bus which ended up going the wrong way and I spent almost two hours on that bus before I returned back to Old San Juan.

On Saturday, Jeff and I rented a car and drove along the "Ruta Panoramica", which traverses the mountainous East/West spine of the island of Puerto Rico. At the end of the day, we strategically ended up near the Western Coast because we were on a quest to find Mangosteens, which are said to be the one of the most delicious things to eat in the world. Alas, we failed. That night, we spent swam in the pool, played ping pong and ate dinner all at The Hacienda Juanita





The view of the Mountains of Puerto Rico from the Ruta Panoramica


Sunday was spent in search of a waterfall, which due to my inability to walk on large slippery boulders, we didn't reach. But we then drove to Shack's Beach where we met up with some of Jeff's friends and spent the afternoon laying on the beach and snorkeling.





This picture doesn't do Shack's Beach justice


I left Old San Juan on Monday, but here are some final pictures.





A view of the "Del Morro", the centuries old fort that guards the entrance to the harbor of San Juan.






A turret along the city wall, which encloses Old San Juan.






Shaved Ice, a Puerto Rican specialty. The flavor here is Guanabana, which I have no idea what that is but I like the flavor.






The area that leads up to the "Del Morro".


What a treat to get to visit Jeff and to enjoy Puerto Rico. But I have to say, the amount of trash that lies on the street and sides of the road is truly shameful. But, in the end, it truly is the Caribbean at its best.

No comments: