Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Not much has changed since 1938

My housemate forwarded me this website address called Bernal Heights Preservation. If you poke around the site you might stumble across the area dedicated to the streetcars that were ubiquitous in this area and probably all of San Francisco.





The intersection of Cortland Avenue and Prospect Street in 1938


If you look closely, the second house from the left is 121-123 Cortland Avenue. The house no longer has pillars and the staircase now has a lefthand turn, but it appears essentially the same. The house to the left of my current home is the building I lived in when I first moved to San Francisco. It looks exactly the same. Great architecture breeds longevity!

2 comments:

Bear Left said...

Hey Ernie, fantastic to discover your blog. I need to go give it a more thorough read when I'm not about to go teach in 20 minutes, but a quick scan looks like there's tons I want to read.

I'm guessing you'll figure my identity out in ten seconds from my blog, even though I don't use my name over there...

Bear Left

bear-left.livejournal.com

Anonymous said...

Ahem,
I thought the winner of your last Catan game night was gonna get a mention in your blog. I haven't seen the name of this strategic prodegy.