Friday, December 02, 2005

So this is where aging Olympic rhythmic gymnasts end up....





Yesterday, for Scott and mine's eight month anniversary, we attended Cirque de Soleil's newest show, Corteo. The tent is set up in the parking lot of SBC (nee: Pacific Bell) Park just south of the Bay Bridge. Since picture taking is not allowed under the big tent, I am providing pictures that I lifted right off the web. Just like my experience attending the opening of Wicked, where I had no idea what to expect and ended up having a wonderful time, the same happened last night.

The show was a circus, but so much more. My favorite acts were the actually near the beginning:





Spinning Chandeliers with twirling and flying female acrobats.


The women would grab onto a part of the chandelier and twirl the strings of "pearls" or actual metal itself, all while swinging up and down and back and forth as the chandeliers were raised and lowered.

My favorite, however, was the "bouncing beds". I think the picture speaks for itself.





Beds that doubled as trampolines


The night was cold and blustery, but under the big tent, the air was electric and pumped full of warm air.

As we left Corteo and were driving home, Scott and I both noted that Corteo would only travel to seven cities throughout the United States. It underscored for both of us that one of the attractions of living in San Francisco is that it is a world-class city. It draws to its stages shows like Wicked and Corteo so we can experience them right in our own proverbial backyards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this up; an inducement to attend. I've never been to CDS, but next time they're around, I'll check them out. Thank you. -- ian