Thursday, December 29, 2005

Snail Mail

Every couple of months I get an envelope in the mail originating from New York City. It's always the same. It's one of the long rectangular envelopes with my name and address written in ballpoint pen. I'm sure that the envelopes I send back East have a same kind of consistency. Since 1990, I have had the joy of having a snail mail correspondence with a friend of mine that I met on the famous "Love Boat" (ok people, once and for all, there is NO BOAT involved). Somehow early on, we began writing to each other by letter (typed not handwritten) and we've both committed to it. OK, a shout out to a certain cousin and his wife in San Diego who are readers of this blog! You know who you are! Anyway, I have kept every single letter she has written me over the past 15 years. I think she has done the same with mine. We could probably reconstruct the majority of our lives over the past decade and a half from these missives. I usually wait a month or so before I write back because letters are never just dashed off. These are usually four to five pages (single spaced with 12 font) descriptions of what is going on in our lives. Yes, on occasion we do have to contact each other on the phone, or an email, but 90% of our communication has been the good old fashioned letter. So Jennifer C. hats off to you for your willingness to hold up your end of the bargain. I'm willing to do this as long as you are. And knowing the stubborn tradition loving types we are this could last another 40 or so years!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out :). Happy New Year!