Friday, December 09, 2005

Pet Peeve

As many of you know, I have had (am having) issues with all of my heterosexual friends getting married and having children. I am not jealous in any way. Hello? I spend my days with 14 and 15 year old high school freshman. I get my fill of immature behavior. I have often threatened to write a book whose working title is something like:

"The Single (or Gay) Persons Guide When Their Friends Get Married and Have Children"


Topics would include:
1) How to not be a third wheel.
2) What not to say when you visit them in the hospital the day their first child is born.
3) How to avoid getting caught on the phone with your friend and having them put their soon to be talking (yeah, RIGHT!) child on the phone to "talk" to you.
4) Never attend a one year old child's birthday party. It's full of other married couples who have done nothing but spend every waking moment worrying about their precious baby. Write the check to the kid and stay the hell away.
5) Insist on being called by your name, never be called Uncle/Aunt So-and-So. You are a person, not a human gift giving/baby sitting machine.


There are many more tips that I can mention but you are probably wondering what the impetus for this posting was. It's Christmas time and that means that Christmas cards are flowing into my home at a rate of one or two per day.

Why do all my friends who have kids simply think that sticking in a photocard of their "adorable" child/children (and no picture of any adult in sight) with no personal greeting, suffices for a holiday card. I've learned absolutely NOTHING about what you did they did this year. All I can do is pull out the picture card from last year and see that Johnny/Judy can now hold a spoon and plaster food all over themselves. Come on people, put in a little more effort and care than that. Your actions (or non-actions as the case may be) are giving all you parents a bad name with your single/gay friends. Your lives are not to be lived only for your child. You, too, were independent, interesting and dynamic people at one point at an earlier point in your lives!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch--I guess that one went out to me, as well as others. Sorry for being so inconsiderate.

The picture cards happen to be my favorite part of the season (even more than the gifts!). I keep all the photo cards and other special cards to look at every year when I take out my Christmas stuff. I do have many years of Ernie cards saved away with the picture cards, just because you do always make yours special.

Anonymous said...

eesh. How selfish can you get. "oh, it inconveniences me that you have a child. After all, I'm a gay star! Please. Get rid of it. And I don't want it's picture either. I can smell the diapie from here. Oh, and I don't want to be bothered to buy your child a gift for you see, I'm waaaayyyyy too important and you're so not! So, here's a check."

You were probably a kid once. Probably had knuckles that drug on the floor, but a kid nonetheless.

echensf said...

To the person who posted this comment: I hope that you understand that my comments were, yes, made in anger, and probably the message was mean-spirited, but I also hope that this poster took the time to read some of the followup comments I made in regards to my feelings about friendship and the changing nature of relationships. Honestly, I'm sorry for the vitriol in my post, but I hope that I've cleared up some of the pain behind it. I admit that my language and harshness was wrong. I was wrong. But I hope that you don't think that I am a child hater. I just am unhappy in what they do to change things and I need to accept that, even though I do that kicking and screaming, I do accept it. Please, next time if you have something to say to me in this vain, have the decency to at least let me know who you are so I can address your issues with my issues personally! Thanks