Saturday, November 26, 2005

A day of thanks -- Yet Wah style, and an agreement to disagree

A Happy Thanksgiving shout out to all those reading, especially my family on 121st Street. I'll be seeing you all in a couple of weeks for sure. Remember I'll be on Alaska #573. I mean how can I not be excited when I find out that my sister agrees with my grandfather that my grandmother's new haircut is reminiscent of the same style fashioned by none other than the Japanese Prime Minister, Junichiro Koizumi.





My grandmother and Koizumi, separated at birth?


My hope is that her hair doesn't grow out too fast and the resemblance diminishes. So, my Thanksgiving was both lazy and kinetic all rolled into one. I slept in late, took a nap, took another nap after transferring from my place to Scott's. Then I was aroused to Scott informing me that we were scheduled to have drinks with friends. Somehow, in the course of all this planning, I missed this key piece of information. After a turbo shower, I was ready and off we were to meet his friends at the Wah for pre-dinner drinks. After a half hour, we then scooted over to his friend Lori's place in the Richmond (a mere hop skip and jump from the new De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park) for dinner. We were in and out in less than two hours, it truly felt like a dine and dash. Out to door we were and back over to the Wah for dessert. The owners of the Wah, opened up their kitchen for one of their regulars and Scott's friend, Anita, to cook part of dinner. It was an interesting feeling to walk back into the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant and see a turkey and all the side dishes sitting next to woks, tongs, steamers and other utensils with a turkey sitting on the counter.

In many ways, the group of people sitting there in the half lighted bar of a Chinese Restaurant in San Francisco was truly the essence of Thanksgiving. All of us from all parts of the country and world being thankful for having each other. Being that I am a new addition (as a Scott hanger on), I listened to the stories and laughed as I could at all the inside jokes, but soon I'll be just as part of the group as everyone else. It takes time and I know that. Hey, if I win the football pool this Sunday, it will happen instantaeously.

The day after the big day was spent lazing the day away again. That night, Scott and I had a "flopsie" evening. No plans, just doing our thing together and individually. What did come up was our diverging opinions about two of the Food Networks biggest stars, Emeril LeGasse and Rachael Ray. Here are pictures and a summary of our feelings towards each.





Scott is enamored whereas I find him totally fake and grating






Scott hears her giggle and equates it with fingernails on a chalkboard, whereas I find her cute as a button and totally a joy to watch. E.V.O.O. baby!!


That's Thanksgiving in a nutshell!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Chen. I'm with you on Emeril, and Scott on Ray. But I don't actually hate all chefs on Food Network, I think I'm seriously in love with Alton Brown, following a torrid affair with Jamie Oliver (until he was taken off the air...)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ern--You are both so deluded. Emeril and Rachael Ray must be some of the most annoying characters on television (since I only watch the Food Network and PBS I don't have much to compare them to). I agree with Daisy over there--Alton Brown is my guy. Good Eats is the only show I ever plan to watch (other than Sesame Street--but I have no choice with that one).