Saturday, September 24, 2005

What you say to your kids does stick

I have numerous memories of childhood in the Chen household in Seattle, WA, circa late 1970's through mid 1980's. The one constant was my Mom's consistent message of eating vegetables and fruits. It might have bordered on "pushing" my sister and I to eat fruits and vegetables, like perhaps a drug dealer pushing drugs onto little kids. "Come on my little friends.....you'll like it and it's good for you."

A couple of decades later, I find myself up at 6:45AM (Scott out coaching his marathoners) trekking down to the local farmer's market right on the other side of my neighboorhood. It's the Saturday morning Alemany Farmer's Market (much better, less pricy and not nearly as fufu as the farmers market downtown by the Ferry Building) right where I-280 and Hwy. 101 intersect.





Sunrise hits the already busy Alemany Farmer's Market






A stall that has no Asian Women pushing each other out of the way with their pink plastic bags, a rare occurance.






You literally have to watch out for recently killed chickens when their purchasers set their bags down and suddenly there is a decapitated chicken in a paper bag running around with it's head cut off.


I have my routine, coming in from the West and doing one loop around the stalls, making a final purchase of eggs just outside the entrance and then back to my car and home. But this morning, my mushroom people weren't there. I was too EARLY?!?!?! That never happens. So when I finished, I violated every principal of shopping that I adhere to (yes, Shahana, listen to this...) I went back to the stall and they were just starting to set up.





A mural on the wall of my stall that sells mushrooms.


I am loathe to admit but since I was in a hurry, unlike the picky old Asian women who sit there and pick over each mushroom one-by-one, I got my paper bag and reached OVER a woman and was taking handfuls of brown button mushrooms. When my hand hit her as I was coming back with a fistful, I got a dirty look from her. Man, I out Asian-womaned an Asian-woman shopper. WOW!

So, here's the loot for the morning all laid out at home.





All this for $39.50


Three things to take from this mornings shopping adventure:

1) Scott and I will be eating well, and healthy this upcoming week!
2) Life in California is sweet...
3) Mom's haranging in my adolescence paid off and here I am eating my fruits and vegetables!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? You went back? You need to tell my kids who you taught for me last year about this. I am dumbstruck. Pigs must be flying. Shahana