Tuesday, February 15, 2005

What determines the answer to the question..

"Where are you from?" Ahhh, I love this question, because it's always such an interesting thing to find out where someone is from. But it means different things to different people. It means, for most people, and for me for a long time, "where did you grow up/where did you spend your formative years?" And that would mean Seattle, WA for me. However, if I were now to answer that question, it would be San Francisco, CA, which is now home for me. What is that tipping point that allows you to feel that a new place you reside becomes "where you are from"? Interesting to me in any case.

This all stems from a conversation I had with a group of people who ostensibly meet as a bookclub, but it's all about getting together. Shout out to Hans (and Teresa) for putting together the monthly gatherings. The "book" for this month was "Where We Are From" by Joan Didion. It sparked great conversation amongst us five who were there. Another question that intrigued me is "Are we products of the places we reside? Or do we migrate to those places where we are going to be of like mind?"

I am leaving out a lot of the nuances of conversation but you get the gist. Lastly, something interesting we discussed was those places in America where people who were born and raised there, always hang on to and take pride in saying that they are from. You may agree or disagree....in no particular order or ranking..

Ohio (yeah, think about it, all those people from Ohio are all about Ohio, Texas, Colorado, California, Maine, Vermont, Chicago (but not Illinois), Boston (but not Massachusetts), Seattle (and to a lesser extent Washington state). This is a partial list, but food for thought.

Oh, and lastly, while on the subject of place, here's a great website, called Epodunk I found on someone's blog. I think it's totally cool.

No comments: